The American all girl pop group Pussycat Dolls have released a remixed version of A R Rahman’s hit song Jai Ho from Slumdog Millionaire for which he was awarded the Oscar for the best song. Sung by the vocalist of the band, Nicole Scherzinger, the remix contains the original instrumentation and tune of the song as is, while adding some English lyrics which roughly translate to the basic idea conveyed in the actual Hindi lyrics. The remix, titled Jai Ho (You Are My Destiny), took about a month to complete and was slated to release immediately after the Oscars, whether Jai Ho won the Oscar or not.
While this is not Rahman’s first foray into the US pop world, with his previous attempts – Pray For Me Brother and Bombay Dreams – not tasting much success, it needs to be seen how this remix will fair. By all probabilities this should be a big hit considering the kind of ripple that Rahman has created in the US through his Oscar win last week.
Below is the actual Jai Ho video as it appears in Slumdog Millionaire, with the audio replaced by the Pussycat Dolls version.
- Pussycat Dolls do “Jai Ho” with Jimmy Fallon
- ..and its a triple whammy for India at the Oscars!!!
- Its Rahman and Jagger next!!
- The Name is… Rahman??
- Samples out for Danny Boyle-AR Rahman’s 127 Hours soundtrack
- A R Rahman performs at Nobel Peace Prize Concert
- Music Aloud Playlist for the Month – March ’09
- Top 15 songs of A R Rahman – A Birthday Tribute
- A R Rahman composes for 2012 London Olympics Opening Ceremony
- A R Rahman makes a guest appearance in Akon’s ‘Beautiful’